Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:50:50 -0500
From: "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com>
To: "mercedes list" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] Hirschmann replacement

Rcvd
Hirschmann replacement antenna assembly (made in Slovenia) for my '87
124 today ($201).  One in the car drains bat when sitting with key
OFF.  'Disappointed with replacement; 'requires cutting plug off
original wires and soldering 4 individual terminals onto the wires,
leaving up/down switch on dashboard inop, which is not terribly
upsetting, 'cause I never use it, anyway.  Bracket for mounting bottom
of assembly is different also; 'coupla plastic clips that may require
drilling coupla mounting holes - not sure 'cause I didn't open their
plastic bag yet.

'Gave my soldering stuff to BIL 3 or 4 years
years ago when my tremor was so bad.  'Beginning to wonder if I really
"need" the antenna to go up and down as bad as I thought I did.  'Just
went out to car, plugged power wires into the antenna unit in the car,
ran the antenna up and unplugged power, leaving the antenna up.  Radio
works fine with no power to the antenna retraction mechanism, of
course.  Purpose of the antenna, of course, is to provide proper radio
reception when I want it, and it does.  I may be able to stand the
"trauma" and "embarrassment" of having the antenna on an MB "standing
tall" when car is OFF and unoccupied.  'Think I'll try it a few days
and see if I can stand it.

Wilton