We use Interstate exclusively in my business.  In 30 years time, they have been
the most consistent and best battery we have used.  They deliver on a daily
basis, and everything is "fresh" when we get it.

This time of year we're selling probably $2k-$3k of batteries a month, and I
can't recall how long it's been since we've had a bad one.  In fact, I don't
know that we've ever had a bad one - I would have to check with my service guys.

As for "maintenance free" batteries, I don't care how you try to explain it,
there ain't no such thing.  A lead acid battery is constantly changing state,
and in doing so, will gas off and lose electrolyte.

Years ago, when they had truly "sealed" batteries, our industry tried them for
about six months, then quickly dumped them like a bad clam.  Because batteries
in an industrial application such as a generator are on a charger around the
clock, you have to be able to access the cells for testing and topping off.  A
sealed battery was good for maybe a year, 18 months at best as a result.

We have a "three year rule" - three years and we replace 'em.  it's cheap
insurance when you consider if you go on the cheap your lights stay out when
there's a power outage.

I do recall from many years ago when batteries were sold to us "dry" and we had
to add the electrolyte.  Boy, was that nasty, and the end to a lot of uniforms.
 The stuff came in a cardboard box with a thick plastic bag inside and a
plastic tube sort of like a commercial milk dispenser.  You had a clamp on the
tube and cut the end off, then let the clamp off as you filled each cell.  What
a PITA!

Dan