Ok Don wrote: "I think the best 123 is a 124 -- just my personal opinion --
after the 124,
there wasn't anything about the 123's that I liked better."

I agree.  The 124, starting in about 1990, seem SO DIFFERENT than a 123.  It's
like it is a whole new generation of car.  You can tell they are made by the
same company, but they are VERY different.  Of course, I feel that way about
the newer MB's also.   I remember when I had a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.
I bought it when I moved to Kansas for law school.  I had just left the
dealership and this was a customer's car with really low miles.  I think it was
40,000 or so.  I knew it was a boring car, but I wanted something to get me
through law school without any drama.  The funny thing was the 96 was the last
year for the Ciera and they had been making the car since the early 80's.  BUT,
it was really just like the old ones.  It had some improvements, fule injection
instead of carbs, better transmissions, etc.  But, in general it was basically
the same car as an '82 Ciera.  GM (obviously) had a different idea about how to
reinvigorate models and how to make improvements than Mercedes did at the time.

It took me about 2 years to absolutely hate that car.  I never had ANY trouble
with it - except the muffler went bad on me.  Suddenly.  One day it was fine,
then the next day it was LOUD.  I put almost 50,000 miles on that car.  I would
routinely drive to Lawrence, Kansas from Topeka on the Turnpike at 95 mph.  I
abused that poor car.  I think I wanted it to break down, so I could get rid of
it.

It was so boring, it was even gray - not silver, but gray  with a gray
interior.  Boring.

This is pretty much what it looked:

http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/81/34/a/1G3AJ55M1S6328134-a.jpg

Donald H. Snook