Dieselvolk,

I'm trying to measure the timing chain wear on my '95 E300 (OM606).  I
cannot for the life of me find any marks on the camshaft at the #1 bearing
tower.  I've made this check on OM617 and OM603 engines, so I know what I'm
looking for, but this OM606 has got me stumped.

Anyone know the trick?

There is a set of marks on the third cam bearing tower and the primary
camshaft (two camshafts on this engine, remember), but they are not easily
aligned for a precise measurement.  When I line them up, it looks like
timing chain wear is about 4 degrees.  There's also a hole in the gear on
the second camshaft, and that hole can be aligned with a hole in the #1 cam
bearing tower.  When I line that up, I measure about 10 degrees of wear!

Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
Charleston SC