Answering my own post here.  Searched the archives and found an exchange
between Ned Kleinhenz and Marshall Booth, here's the key part below.

Ned if you're still on this list, I'd like permission to also post this
great tidbit on the MBCA forum and credit to your name.

-Max

Glad I took Marshall's advice and replicated the chain stretch measurement
on my '95 E300D with the OM 606.910 engine.  My first measurement on
Saturday was 4 deg.
The subsequent measurements, today, were 3 deg, 2 deg and 2.5 deg.  Think
I'll keep this chain and check it again in 30 or 50k miles.

I discovered an important trick that other 606 engine owners may want to
know -
The cam can be indexed for #1 piston TDC by running a pin through holes
that align the left cam gear and the front cam tower.  One of the bolts that
holds the cam cover on the head is the perfect size to use as this pin.
This bolt will fit tightly enough that I estimate the bolt will only fit
through both holes within < 1/2 deg of crank rotation.

When looking at the engine from the front of the car, correct crank rotation
is clockwise.  To measure chain stretch, you must approach the index
postion only from the clockwise direction.  Backing the crank off a fraction
of a degee reverses the play in the chain and makes the measurement
meaningless.

Ned Kleinhenz
'95 E300D x2
'85 300D