Loren wrote:<<It is officially a "resonator"  As near >>.

Please be aware that if you have a new exhaust installed somewhere offering "Lifetime Guarantee" on the muffler, the resonator will not get the same warranty! Simply because it's called a resonator and not a muffler. I think technically, the resonator is not as full of baffles as a "real" muffler. Also, the resonator can be in any location - either at the front or the rear of the car.

FWIW, My MGB has a resonator at the rear of the car and is often somtimes removed for a slightly louder sound level -

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil