On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some genius decided the engine was not supposed to have them, so they took
> off the hardware to stabilize the injection lines.    You might get by with
> that for a while on the old heavy, short lines, but not with the long, light
> lines of the OM603

Like Pete A. said, why bother fussing with brittle 25-year-old plastic
bits from a parts car---all those parts are available new from Ma
Benz, and aren't too expensive.

Or you can do like I do and use good-quality zip ties and small pieces
of Sorbothane (the best vibration-absorbing material known to man,
available in small quantities from McMaster-Carr) to attach the lines
to the existing metal brackets.  Or do like Jim C. does and use scraps
of old bicycle inner tubes.

I agree strongly that you need to do SOMETHING to dampen vibration of
those lines (and a homebrew solution could definitely improve on the
way it was originally engineered, pace Dr. Booth).  I believe
excessive vibration was the cause of the failure of #6 line on my
'87---it cracked right above the connection to the IP.

Alex