With your collective indulgence, I'd like to re-open the discussion of the
topic  "sudden acceleration". You may recall in mid february I opened the
discussion with this submission in vol. 51 issue 39, or thereabouts:

(  " So yesterday I heard what I believe was a public service announcement (by
some automotive   engineer, I think) on the radio saying that the least
powerful brakes are going to easily overpower the most powerful engine.This
suggests that applying your brakes firmly in an unexpected acceleration
situation would prevent a catastrophe.")

firmly and immediately to stop the car would be successful, regardless of the
power output of the engine. Applying the brakes to merely slow down the
vehicle, most concluded, would likely result in overheating the brakes  to the
point that they could be ineffective.

The recent report of a Prius driver's scary struggle with sudden unexpected
acceleration raises this topic again.

I am taking no position on this issue. I am asking questions to better
understand what is happening.

Here are several questions that circulate through my mind.

If a driver were to experience this phenomenon in a powerful car whose speed
has gone well above 100 mph, would there be any hope of stopping the car using
only the brakes?

Can a Prius whose driver is trying to brake the car continue to accelerate? How
powerful is the Prius engine?

Can all cars be shifted easily into neutral in the event of this emergency?

Is there any "down side" to turning off the engine in this situation?

Having driven a 240D for many years, sudden acceleration sounded rather
attractive . Now, not so much.

Jerry

1982 240D 60+ horsepower

database 4940 (20100312) __________