How about a replica or kitcar of a Porsche 550 ?  Super light, simple, and
the powertrain can be had for next to nothing.  I think an old Bug would
make a great donor car for most of mechanical bits you'd need, and there are
endless suppliers offering performance parts for old bug engines.

That would be the cheaper way to go.  Sourcing an old 550 engine with gear
driven cams and roller bearings might mess up the budget a bit. lol

Ed
300E