someone claiming to be [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This is the "WHY" part.  I drove right by three uniformed security guards
> that were directing traffic and they all smiled and shook their heads.  I
> suppose a thief would get the same response.

Depends on how bright the guards are. Most car thieves are caught just
because they are either (a) stupid (-20 degC and the driver window is
'down', aka busted out, etc.) or (b) just don't "fit" the car (two 'blue'
gangbangahs in a rose red Civic Coupe with a garter hanging from the
rearview, etc.).

Car alarms are an urban plague. Around here the biggest problem is owners
who set them off in their own driveway or at the mall, I assume by hitting
the "panic" button by mistake.

What I cannot fathom is the ones who set the alarm to go in and buy a pack
of smokes at the self-serve. I know in South Central LA that would be a
valid behaviour, but around here the chances of a hijack or random car-grab
are about 1 in 55,000,000,000,000,000 (repeating). I only gripe about this
as about one-third of them manage to set the damn alarm off when they return
to the car.

Mac