On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:40:28 -0500 Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

> here is a link to the job (91-125) of removing the backrest gear.
> http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/91-125.pdf
> It doesn't help much.
> Step 1.  Remove seat back panel  (91-190)
> http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/91-190.pdf
> Step 2.  Remove flexible rod
>
> But no clues about how this is done.  It does indicate this is a
> flexible shaft, not a solid rod as Jim dealt with.

Ah, yes, the lack of information in the W124 service manual.

I thought you were concerned with the seat moving on its mounting rails.

Anyway, the first page of 91-125 says,

   Flexible shaft (2) .................  pull out of gears.

Perhaps you use the flexibility of the shaft to shorten its length so it
comes out of the gears and is then free of them. The point of this
section is the removal and replacement of the gears themselves.

Note that the handwheel (8) and cover (9) must be replaced following
disassembly.

Craig