In a message dated 10/26/2005 6:17:47 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

On my 83  300SD the cruise control will not hold the
desired speed.  I can use  the accelerate function to
get the vehicle up to speed.  I can also  keep my foot
on the accelerator and feel the cruise control trying
to  hold the vehicle at speed until it eventually gives
up.

Yesterday I  cleaned and lubed the cruise control
linkages with ATF.  Also cleaned  the #12 fuse block.
Car had same issues this  morning.

Fred,

This is a classic failure mode for most all old Mercedes.  Most  failures
occur in the cruise control amplifier, found on the brake bracket under  the
dash.  Many write ups exist on how to strip the sealant and resolder  all
points
on the printed circuit board.  Also, I believe the capacitor  (s), some have
more than one,  die with age and cannot hold the  setpoint.

If you have never removed an amp from the bracket, it is a little  tricky.
Look for a 3" X 5" X 1" thick aluminum box, standing  vertically. You must use
a 10 mm socket and go in from the right side of  the  bracket to remove the
single bolt that holds the aluminum can to  the brake pedal bracket.  feel with
your finger to find the bolt head  hidden in the bracket casting.  A short
extention helps you clear the brake  pedal arm.  Unplug both connectors and
remove the complete assembly with  the accessory relay on the side.

Exchanges are available in the back page ads of The Star, if you don't want
to try your hand at soldering.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ