I usually associate an air leak in the supply lines with a lot cranking at
start-up time.
I bought a '76 300D once from a guy who tore down the engine because of a
hard starting. I bought it for the rust-free body. Transferred the factory
re-man engine from my rusting body into this one, and instantly had a
hard-to-start car. I found a small rubbed hole where the fuel line came up
into the engine compartment. Fixed it with a splice of fuel tubing, and it
started instantly.

Now, a collapsing tank would be a real pain.  I usually fill when the gauge
gets to half - so don't really have an indication of how much it holds
today. The tank is at half now - when this last incident occurred.

I think I'll start with the vent system.

--
OK Don
Panic! (the national past time).