This might be a wild, outside chance... Has someone removed the little flow restrictor between the vacuum pump and the shutoff circuit? If somehow the shutdown is getting too much vacuum, it can restrict RPM. THis does not explain the sudden "on" of the situation, or why opening the fuel system cures it. But, it is easy enough to pull the vacuum line off the shutoff and try that for 2K or so. Plugged tank vent explains why the situation is ok after opening the fuel system.

A less desirable possibility is the governor on the pump. I had one on a 603 that would suddenly go slow. When restarted, it would be ok, then go slow. In that situation, the governor deteriorated so fast that within 30 min or so, the engine would fire a few times, and the governor would slam the rack shut. So, the result was that the engine would start normally, fire for a revolution or two and then die.

I've noticed the "whoosh" when removing the filler cap pn one of the cars on
occasion, but now I couldn't tell you which one it was.

I haven't cleaned the tank out yet --
I don't see bubbles in the line - it doesn't act like a leaking line - it
acts like it's either starved for fuel or air.