From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of andrew strasfogel
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:56 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Head R/R for 300TD wagon

I've decided that my 1985 pseudo 300TD (with the replacement 1985 300D
engine and "converted" (i.e., bowdlerized) self levelling system merits
conversion into a real 300TD.  I found a 300TD cylinder head (including the
SLS pump) at a good price, and my neighbor who does all sorts of heavy duty
work on his 280SE 3.35 coupe is willing to work with me to R/R the head.  If
that operation is successful, I can replace the bogus Bilstein rear shocks
with good used hydropneumatic struts, fill the SLS canister with proper
fluid and then hope that the SLS actually works.

So I have several questions.

1.  How should I test the cylinder head to ensure it's still good?  If I
take it to a machine shop what will they charge me and what can they
determine?

2. Assuming the head is OK, what sort of complications can arise when I
remove the old head?  What is a worst case scenario?

3.  Do I need a lift to do this job, or will jack stands suffice?

4. What among the following should I install or replace once the engine is
disassembled:  valves, valve seals, gaskets, shims,  etc.  The engine is
currently running perfectly well and has 250 K miles approximately.

Or, if anyone has a good used 1985 300TD engne I am definitely interested.
As usual, TIA.

Andrew
1983 300TD
1985 300TD pretend-o-wagon