My guess also, BTDT w123 300D NA.  Disconnected speedo, sound went away.
Reconnected it came back.

Took apart speedo, greased, put back, no sound.

For me, it started at lower speeds when it was colder.  I would have described
it as a big blower motor behind the cluster, though I also thought it might be
in the engine compartment.  Easy fix, hope it is for you too!

-Tim