From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of Tim C
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:36 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] VW TDI: opinions?

We're looking for a reliable third car (daily driver for wife,
probably to retire and dispose of the Escape).  Needs to be able to
make short trips (<3 miles ever, like 5 miles a day total) without a
lot of excess baggage, but as a SWMBO car it must be reliable in those
trips for the next 5-7 years.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine has offered me his '99 VW Jetta
diesel for a very good price.

- I like the idea of standardizing on a single fuel, however I know
nothing about the operation of the VW diesel; I'd be a little
frightened to always be making such short trips in a classic MB diesel
but I know you all have said that carboning up isn't a big deal in
newer engines.  Does '99 and/or VW diesel count as newer?

- The VW has a Frybrid WVO conversion; my friend has replaced the
injection pump once [about a year ago, with new] and has run
practically no VO through it since that time, but I don't know if I
should be concerned about anything else.  He got tired of the whole
WVO collection/cleaning thing and eventually moved on to an Insight.
The Jetta sounded like a regular diesel the last time I heard it, and
seemed to run with reasonable power - but then I'm comparing it to a
NA 300D.

- The VW has 140K on the odometer, which in MBZ makes me think it
could run for another 30 years; I'm not sure if that translates to VW
though.  Are the VWs relatively easy to work on, compared to MBZ or
old Volvos?

- Anything else I would need to look at?  I'm not concerned about him
pulling the wool over my eyes, but I don't know what he doesn't know
about the car.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
-Tim