Don't forget oil for the pump.  They usually come dry.

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 22:52
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] A two 300SD evening, etc.

My son came to visit in his 84 300SD, we went into town tonight for
supper and I drove it in, met up with mama, then drove back out in her
84 300SD.  I think her's is in a bit better shape, but both are decent
rides.  His needs a flex disk I believe as it seems to be whumping a bit
from a standstill but then quiets down after the initial start, will get
that sorted soon.  I am a bit worried as he is headed back to PHL
tomorrow, so I hope it holds up OK.  He says he is up for doing the
repair, I will have to look over the recent discussion and send him
pertinent info.  Got him a new set of Michelins yesterday as the tires
that came with the car when we got it 3 yr ago were starting to get a
bit ratty.  The right front is starting to squeak a bit, I guess it is
due for some control arms soon.  Will have to figure out how to get that
job done too.

The latest HF flyer and email had the AC gauge set for $30, half price,
and a 2.5cfm vac pump for $70, a 20% off coupon on the reg $80 price got
it for $64, so I guess I have the makins for some AC work.  Another $20
got a 2 yr warranty, no question asked return, seemed like a reasonable
deal.  I can use it for vac forming/pressing woodworking stuff too so
should get my money's worth.  Says it will pull to 75 microns, that
seems plenty low.  Oh, and a $9 non-contact thermometer, will see what
that does.  I will have to look at the gauge set, I might need some
other kind of hose to hook to the vac pump for pumping down if I have to
do that?  Mama's 134 converted AC worked sorta OK last summer, she says
it ain't doing much now so will experiment on that.  The boy's car still
had R12, it worked when we got it but he says it doesn't put out now.
Not sure I want to waste my last can of R12 on it, he doesn't seem to
mind anyway.

--R