> OK Don wrote:

> Me three - screwed me up when I discovered that areas of the
> country DON'T have grid lines! Shocking!

heh.

Just try to put a road down in a straight line in the Ozark
mountains.

There are plenty of roads there so crooked that traveling
northbound can have you going South-South-East.

In the bigger mountains I think we expect to find it difficult
to make straight roads. But there is something that just feels
wrong when it takes 5 miles of road to get from here to that
hilltop over there that can't be more than one mile away.

--    Philip