Removed the transaxle.  Drained the oil, there was a lot of metal in the
oil.  Shimmering, like metallic paint.  But, my guess is it's never been
changed in 25 years so that might not be surprising.

Googled a bit and read about these, apparently they are not hard to work
on but sounds like when you open them up it's easy to damage seals which
then need to be replaced.

Broken keys are apparently not an uncommon problem especially if the
gears are shifted while in motion, which is likely what the kid did.

I guess I'll crack it open and see what I can see.

Allan

--
1983 300D