Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:05:32 -0400
From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] OT: lawn mower transaxle

Anyone know anything about (old) lawn tractor transaxles?

I have an old wheel horse riding mower that just lost all forward and
reverse movement.  It's about 25 years old.

The transaxle has three forward gears and reverse.  There's a pully on
top that's driven by belt from the clutch on the bottom of the engine in
front.  The belt and pully are moving so it doesn't seem to be the
clutch or belt slipping.

There is still a bit of traction in each gear but it's slipping very badly and
will not move on its own.  This happened suddenly.  My son was mowning,
he reports that he stopped to reverse the mower and after he stopped it
would not move.

Is this something I'm going to be able to open up and do anything with?
I don't mind trying to repair it if there's a reasonable chance of
success, but I don't have a lot of time to throw at fruitless efforts
right now.

Allan
--
1983 300D