I actually did not hook up the gauges (too lazy to get them out) and just put the can/hose/gauge on and dumped in the juice until it showed blue on the can gauge. I thought about getting them out, but then I realized I wouldn't know the proper pressures anyway, so it would be kind of a misplaced effort. I did get cool air though, half comfy even on these hot days.

You know what they would be (remembering it is 134)?

--R

On 6/21/2010 3:00 PM, Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310 wrote:
Replacing lost oil is a good thing, and a little too much oil will
simply rob you of some cooling efficiency (i.e. better to have too much
than too little).

What kind of pressures did you get?

-Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 2:47 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Converted AC question

The AC on the 84 300SD was converted at some point to R134, looks like
it was a proper job (whatever that means).  It was not blowing much cool
so I put 1.5 cans of 134 in it, and it is blowing pretty cool now on a
90F day.  But the compressor is making Unhappy Noises, kind of a
graunching sound at lower revs, and the belt looks like it was really
being strained -- it is pretty tight when not running, but the "free"
side is deflecting and flopping quite a bit while running, and it
sounded like it was squeaking a bit suggesting a heavy load on it at the
compressor.  The belt looks a little frayed, so I guess replacing it
soon would be prudent anyway.  Looks like there might be some AC oil on
the hoses down near it, and on the hoses going into the condenser,
though it is hard to tell if it is regular oil or AC stuff, but since it
is on those hoses mostly I am thinking AC oil.  Should I get a can of
refrigerant with some oil in it, shoot some of that in too, just to see
if it makes the compressor happier?  Or is the compressor nearing Fail
status?  (Or both?)

--R