Jill and Daniel took her 560SL to Wyoming for a mini-vacation, and on
her way back she called me from Missoula, three hours away from home.
The car wouldn't start, and the aftermarket alarm was honking away at
her.  I ran her through the basic diagnosis procedure with the lights,
neutral switch, etc., but didn't get good results.  (A lack of
calmness doesn't help.)  Then I had her get out the cheap Harbor
Freight multimeter I keep in the trunk, and the battery measured
around 10V.  Oops!  She called AAA to get a jump, and the guy
knew what to do.  He checked the battery voltage while it was running
and it was 13V or so, enough to prove that the alternator wasn't
totally dead.  She got home (carefully husbanding the battery charge)
without further incident, and I put the car on charge.  It was
thirsty, but not inordinately so.  It probably needs a new brush pack,
they usually get intermittent at their end-of-life.

-- Jim