The fallout from the dead 560SL battery in Missoula has so far been
a cleaning and gluing together of the battery box and lid, which were
well shattered by ham-handed past battery work.  But yesterday I
finally got to pull the alternator, and one brush was notably short,
and arcing had chewed its slip ring a bit.

When spinning the alternator by hand it sounds 'dry', I'd say that it
really could use a new bearing or two.  Checking my records I find
I've done this before, three years ago on the 190D, and the place to
take the alternator is _Spokane Auto Electric & Repair_.  They carry
everything, and can turn slip rings too.  I just need to take it apart
and re-assemble it.

Not an issue.  Step one: use a Sharpie to mark the phasing of the two
housings.  As before, I then put two screwdrivers into the fan and set
them against bolts through the alternator mounting holes.  A 22mm
box-end wrench went over the nut, and then a hammer striking the
wrench removed the nut easily.  (Inertia, not so much force on the
fan, was the counterforce.)  The pulley, fan, and all the spacers just
drop off the front then.  I strung them on a piece of wire to keep
them in order.  A hammer and a screwdriver removed the shaft key.
Removal of the fan exposed the four screws that held the body
together, those came out easily enough.  (Don't slip and bugger the
screw slots, or you'll really have a problem!)  A brass hammer tapped
around the rear housing caused it to drop away from the front housing
and rotor, the rear bearing stayed with the rotor.  The rear bearing
was _very_ dry, it's close to failure.  Most of the grease appears to
have worked out of both bearings.  I removed the four little screws
that released the front bearing clamping plate, and with the nut on
the shaft the brass hammer drove the front bearing out of the front
housing.

Checking the tool box I found a recently-acquired New Britain puller
(50 cents at a garage sale) that is a _perfect_ fit to the rear
bearing.  It clipped over it and with a twist and a little pop it
came right off the shaft, the flat end of the puller's bolt slipped
perfectly through the bearing.  (It was _sweet_, I love using
good tools!)  The front bearing is the hard one, but I have found that
I can use a clamp-together flat plate bearing puller in conjunction
with a 2-jaw puller to pull them off their shafts.  I kept the front
nut half-on the shaft in order to constrain the point of the 2-jaw
puller.  It took quite a bit of force, but the bearing pulled off
pretty easily, and the procedure didn't seem to deform the bearing
clamping plate too much.  Disassembly complete; it didn't even take
very long.

I put the rotor, bearings, and brush pack into a box in the trunk of
the car.

-- Jim