I don't know about anyone else here, but I bristled at the concept of
taking typing class as junior in high school in 1968.

Ten years later my Mom slapped me upside the head and
told me to drop my one filler HS class and replace it with
typing.  "You're going into computers, you're going to
want to know how to type."  Duh!

When nobody was looking I'd open up the machines and see how
they worked.  I watched the repairman at his business, too.
That's how I learned how to field-strip a Selectric II in
under a minute!  Made a right scary-looking mess out of an
expensive machine...

People always thought they were computerized somehow.  They
were barely even electric.  You could hook a treadle to one
and type, in a post-apocalyptic world!  Nothing but a motor
and a switch, the rest purely mechanical.  Steam-powered,
that would be fun!

I feel an idea coming on...  :-)

-- Jim