Did you know that Selectric I's were used as computer terminals? That's why there used to be that strange, very low baud rate on UNIX and IBM serial connections -- it was set to allow a full carriage return on the Selectric terminal!

Noisy bastards, but they do in fact live forever. Very very slick system, too. I even remember how to adjust them, I think, for proper letter placement on the page. When they get old, you sorta have to chose which letters won't align exactly right unless you want to replace parts, and that's not really an option any more.

The models after the Selectric III in 1978 or so were all hybrid -- electronic with electromechanical actuation. They were all junk, too -- very high failure rate in 5 years (as in 75% and up). Put IBM out of the typewriter buisness, as all the other machines with daisy wheels worked better and longer and were cheaper.

Peter