as for the speedo, it seems we just went over this recently, but i don't recall the outcome. have you verified you have the correct speedo in there that was matched to the higher rear-end ratio of the '85s? (you should be able to read the P/N at the bottom of the face of the instrument panel.)

as for the strut, i might be missing something here, but it seems to me that since the strut is leaking, why not replace it and see if it addresses your problem? it needs to be replaced anyway.

cheers!