I think I recall reading that the data recorder unit is more or less
autonomous, but it was NEVER intended to be used for post-crash
forensics e.g. like an airliner flight data recorder.  It was put there
more there to help Toyota diagnose maintenance and reliability issues
over time.

I don't recall the source now, however, so I can't cite anything to back
this up.

Allan

Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Of course, the data is suspect if it's being recorded by a computer
> that is the subject of inquiry.  After all, if the brake lights
> aren't run by a simple switch, but operated by the computer like the
> ignition, they wouldn't be on, would they?
>
> The data should only be used for this inquiry if it is recorded
> completely separately by another device, not the main CPU.
>
> I would suggest that someone needs to determine if the computer will
> record bogus data before depending on it.....
>
> Peter

1983 300D