I'm negotiating to purchase a scrap-grade 1985 300TD that was totaled back
in 2004. The car is virtually complete, although all I really crave is a
decent 300TD engine to transplant into my 1985 300 pseudo-TD.  Transport on
a flatbed would probably be under $300.

The vehicle "ran well" at the time of the collision (so the story goes).  As
the other driver was clearly at fault, the owner received a generous
settlement and also kept the car in his yard for the past 6 years.
Unfortunately, he cannot jump-start it now.

I am wondering whether I should take a chance on the car - what could I do
differently to get the motor running?  Is there a procedure to follow to
start a long-dormant turbodiesel?  Would fuel flow have something to do with
it?  Would a new battery potentially get it started (as opposed to a jump
start)?  In a worst case scenario it will NEVER start due to low
compression, but given the low price he's asking Ihe would not want to take
the time to perform a compression test for me.  If I could get the car down
here I could probably recover some of th cost from another guy who wants
other parts from the car, but if I can't use the engine it would be quite
embarrassing to say the least, not to mention that SWMBO would never let me
forget what an idiot I was (am).

So what are the odds I could get it running?  Do I want to take this
gamble?.  The mileage is around 300K.

Andrew