Yeah, I know all that, but it just seems like an awful lot of work compared
to an engine swap.  Also, there are high risk opportunities to screw up
royally in a head R/R.
*
*
*If the engine will turn over, you should be able to get it to start,
following what has already been written.*

I thought that a tired engine would turn over but wouldn't start in cold
weather due to weak compression, so I'm not sure what you mean by this.