I shouldn't be here as I've been a Mac guy since the 80s but there are many,
many freeware renaming utilities available for Mac so I figured there must be
at least a couple (hundred) for Windows.

A quick Google search pointed me here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwfilerename.html

but others would probably have better knowledge on the 'definitive' freeware
repository for Windows. I'm sure there are many more options than those linked
without needing to roll your own script.

Dave
SoCal