I think you're wrong, who is the keeper of the Marshall emails?

I don't think M1 15w50 is that hard to pour compared to 15w40 conventional
oil...

-Curt

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:44:28 -0500
From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] oil thread... (no porch or lexi content)

OK, I stayed out of the last oil thread until I did some research.
the last oil thread some folks talked about using M1 0W-40 in their
Diesels.  I distinctly remember the the revered Herr Doktor was
adamant about not using M1 0W-40 in OM 60x or older Diesels.  So I
wanted to check some oil facts out.

A more recent thread talked about the low zink content of oils made
for the current crop of gassers.  A CF rating has the higher zink
content we need.  I don't remember who posted the data link in that
thread, but it was really good.

I took a little time today to look at the backs of some chosen oils.
Most that have a C rating (for Diesels) are CH-4 or CI-4.  However,
M1 V-twin oil had a CF (what we need) on the bottle for $9 a quart.
I guess HD makes a lot of Vtwin diesels, Huh?

Mobil Delvac, which used to be a good dino substitute for M1 15W-50
now has the CH-4 or CI-4 rating, meaning it does not have the zink
that our engine bearings need.  Interestingly, the M1 0W-40 did have
a CF rating.  So, it looks like it is ok now.    If my memory is
right, Herr Doktor's main argument was that the base viscosity (0W)
was too thin for OM62x, OM63x, OM61x, and OM60x engines.

The 15W-50 is very hard to pour in below 0F weather, and so I liked
to use the 10-40 M1 in the winter or if the time before the next oil
change was likely to include cold weather.  Now, it appears that the
M1 10-40 is gone forever, or at least until Mobil changes its mind.
Confusing, huh?

I am not sure if this is the same in all parts of the country.  YMMV.
As we know, Mobil changes the formulations ad ratings on a whim at
least once or twice a year.  Good luck!