Can you use an old freon container for a recovery tank by pulling a vacuum
in it, then hooking it up to the AC system?

No, not really.  The problem is the phase change: in gaseous state
the refrigerant charge is many times larger than the size of that tank.
I've heard of people getting most of the charge out of something by
refrigerating the tank and heating (like in the sun) the car and letting
natural migration and condensation in the tank do most of the work, but
I think that takes just shy of forever to do.

I'm a big fan of vent-able test refrigerants.

-- Jim