Any good alignment shop can usually get away with not having a spreader bar.
Its mostly to take the slop out of the steering linkage as parts age, from what
I understand.
-----Original Message-----
From: OK Don <okd...@gmail.com>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:06:26
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Lets talk tire pressure

One of my 124's was darting like you describe. I replaced the rear links,
thinking some of them looked "ify". That did help a little, but not enought.
I then replaced the front tie rods and idler arm bushings, still no joy, but
it now needed an alignment. The alignment shop found that the lower right
ball joint was shot. They replaced it and did the alignment - much better
now, but not completely cured. They dont have the spreader bar, so I'm not
confident that the alignment is correct, and the rear subframe mounts are 20
years old with 270,000 miles ----

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not long, 60 miles maybe. How long was it driven like that before I got it?
> No idea...
>
> I may swap on the 15s from my '85 and see if it still behaves the same way,
> that would rule out tires and tire pressure.
>
> -Curt
>
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:18:19 -0400
> From: "Allan Streib" <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
> To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] Lets talk tire pressure
>
> How long were you driving it like that?  The tires could be unevenly
> worn now, even damaged (broken bands, etc) affecting handling even
> though the alignment may now be correct.  I don't know if that would
> cause the twitchiness you're experiencing though.
>
> Allan
>
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:25 -0700, "Curt Raymond" <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Alignment is fresh last Friday. Before the alignment the steering
> > wheel had to be at 2 o'clock to go straight. The new alignment
> > improved the overall stability of the car noticably.

OK Don
2001 ML320
1992 300D 2.5T
1991 300E (for sale)