On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:

>  I'm
> wondering about buying a 32" TV and running it off the computer via VGA or
> HDMI. I'm also broke, and a TV costs $50-100 more than a same sized
> monitor...
> 24-26" class monitors in the $140-160 range are sounding better all the
> time.

Not all LCD panels are created equal; you pretty much get what you pay
for.  I have pretty bad eyes and I notice the difference, at
computer-using distance, between different types of LCDs, with the
sub-$200 26-inchers you are looking at being blurry enough to give me
a headache fast.  I have a  Doublesight 16:9 30" which I adore, but it
also cost $700 on clearance.  The best-quality cheapies are Samsung
and NEC, IMHO.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD for some good info on the
different panel technologies.  The short version is that the cheapest
must dither to reproduce 24-bit color, which means they can't really
display antialiased text (as generated by OS X and all versions of
Windows since XP) properly.  OK for games, not OK for serious all-day
use.

Also keep in mind that contrary to what some will say, there _is_ a
difference between an LCD sold as a TV and one of the same size sold
as a computer monitor, besides just the fact that the TV will have
more inputs (HDMI, component, sometimes even composite so you can hook
up a VCR).   Different design goals for distance vs. closeup viewing
and computer vs. DVD or digital cable output (where a good TV can
really make a difference smoothing out digital compression artifacts).

Alex