I have always used permatex blue (silicone) to tack the gaskets for WPs, and never had a problem. I know others use the permatex red with no problems. Permatex blue is hard to find now. It seems that they are pushing the red.

I believe what Peter is referring to is the old brown non-silicone form a gasket. I think that is Permatex #2, but I have not used that for 30+ years, since the blue stuff came out.

Don't use RTV on the pump, use permatex of some sort, else it will surely leak. RTV won't stick to anyhthing with glycol on it, I found this out the hard way on my old Audi fox -- after the third water pump gasket blew out I used liquid permatex and it was still holding 4 years later when I sold it.

Peter