First running the dial on the right side 5-7C colder (seems) to regulate things a bit.

So I wired up some benz pins/sockets, after doing the relays for my 500E headlights I've a few wires and pins about. Check for connectivity, then cross connected the two solenoids. The hot air then switches to the driver's side from the passenger side.

This seems to indicate the $300+ duo-valve assembly is working and the signal it is receiving is bad. So either the control unit is bad, or one of the temp sensors in the left/right heater box is bad.

The temp sensors are $20 each, could I ordered a pair and we'll look into replacing them. It still could be the potentiometers on the dials or the control unit, I guess I could disassemble the console and test them, then find they are bad, reassemble, disassemble (sigh). Er no it's a bitch to reassemble the console and align and retighten everything based on my last experience, plus all the plastic whimpers break me, so we'll just order them.