Ok,this morning as temps drop to freezing the drive into town with the teenager became interesting since on the left side of the wagon it vented fresh outside freezing air, on the right side, hotish air. Turning the dial on left to almost max made it a bit warmer, click to high and you get heat, lots of, way too much to live with, otherwise my left foot gets frostbite.

This has to be resolved.

Fortunately the dealer had two temp sensors for me, so it's either those, or the potentiometers, or the control unit is screwed, since I believe the dual mono valve is fine.

Later this evening I tackled the job of confirming the two blower housing sensors are ok. First of course I found out the fan dial refused to come off, ???? I know I had it off before to replace the little bubs in the back lighting and in the control unit!. Pull tug, plead, invent new words (old words actually), snaps in two. Sigh... Small vice grips to pull off the inner plastic housing which is as you know pressure fit on, the outer dial is melted onto it with now broken stubs. Off to a great start since we've busted plastic, and this was the easy part. So unscrew upper console wood, remove nuts, bulbs, place wood somewhere safe far away from the work area, prod at switch matrix.

The interesting thing here is the dual manual climate control is two temp dials, a seperate fan speed controller, and vacuum controller for air vents. Not much there on the control unit proper, but a large nest of wires and a small 30ish pin conector with a locking tab, wires head off mostly to drivers side. Has to be a control unit somewhere else there just isn't anything in the switch assembly. Well there could be perhaps the manual system is really simple and the circuit board is the size of a pack of cards? Well since I'm here I carefully examine temp dial, unscrew right housing, temp dial and housing comes off. See nice large, clean heavy duty looking potentiometer. Well that looks reasonable certainly wasn't full of dust we'll not touch that further. Carefully examine connector, check tab yes it releases, try to separate. Nope, begs to snap plastic parts. Fiddle, prod, poke, examine, stand on my head to see underneath. Nope try some pressure and 30ish pins welded together creak and the connector releases and the two parts separate. So I move the switch matrix aside and dangle on driver side. What's left is a fan speed switch and a vacuum actuator controller pod screaming touch me and I'll leak air.

Peering about I can see yes on the left according to the w124 USA manual there should be the temp sensor right behind the control unit which snaps into the blower housing. Yes it's there. Ok look to the right, where I suspect the right temp sensor should be. Goodness knows what the overhead temp sensor does on this car. Yes a rectangular hole where the right side temp sensor should be. No temp sensor, just a hole into the right blower housing, no wires, nothing. Mmm certainly there has to be a temp sensor. I'll bet the evil telco that messed with the installation and deinstallation of the cell phone popped it off and it's lying in the bottom of the console. Look about, nope but odds and ends of non benz wire lurks. Nothing leaps up and says here am I, that would be too easy.

Ok remove radio. I need to do this to replace it anyway, attempt to insert radio keys, right one goes in, left one only part way. Fiddle lots more, then jam left one in. Radio won't budge. Pull, face plate pops off, well it does that anyway, still no go. Assume I am an idiot and can't read instructions and swap keys, nope.

Sigh, ok I really wanted to avoid all this extra work, remove center console storage box, unscrew center console wood, pull back, leaver out ashtray, or attempt to. Sigh, ensure brake is on, turn power on, step on brake, put shifter in neutral, finally wiggle out ashtray assembly, disconnect power cord. Jam two small screw drivers into stupid lock tabs. Pull radio out, disconnect the 8 pin becker cable, the 4 pin cable, the ground, and a mystery yellow handcrafted wire which I think later is the Phone Mute feed wire.

MMm still no temp sensor, It's an inch long, termocouple on end, size of your thumb, two pins has to be there somewhere. Lots' of wire, wires for phone coax, cable to 2nd part of becker box, stereo wires, etc etc. Feed wires to the missing cell controller, few other things. Poke prod. Finally think surely those engineers ran the 2 temp sensors in same wire bundle, follow wire bundle back, then foward and what do you know dusty temp sensor with broken tab leaps out of the rats nest of wire in the bottom depths of the console.

So deinstaller did it, I doubt the installer did this since at freezing temps the climate system is quite insane and I doubt the original owner would have survived the years with an insane system every winter.

Ok, I replace both temp sensor, wonder if they have been switched? No the left side was still in, has to be idiot deinstaller ripping out cell controller behind radio and pulling out right temp sensor by breaking tab when wires tangled I'll bet. Wrestle with new sensors for 10 minutes each, sure just push in, if you can just the right amount of fingers on it. Most likely easy before you install the vacuum switch and fan controller. Have to insert both hands behind those and listen to plastic console framework creak...

Finally the new ones pop back in. Later testing shows the two old sensor have equal ohms at I suppose the correct values, so they aren't faulty, but one of course has a broke tab. The two new ones also read the same, since I checked before installing them.

Put switch matrix back on, carefully re-sit everything, wrap all those stereo leads with electrical tape and ensure misc old cell phone leads are still wrapped. Don't want to have anything short out and set car on fire. Note to idiot installer if you wire up an inline fuse block in electrical tape and stuff into bottom of console area, and if it blows the owner will hate you later... Look, think, anything will fry if I turn car on? Ok turn car on, get it a bit warm and confirm yes the sensors seem to be in the right places, hot on right gives hot, cold gives cold, and vic-versa. So lets reassemble the rest of the console area.

The first good point of the evening was the reassembly of the upper console and ashtray and center console etc only took a few minutes, everything lined up, no fiddling required, screws just worked, all the buttons work, switches co-operate. It just all worked. Last time I did this the switch matrix and wood panel refused to cooperate and when I replaced the center console wood it was 20 minutes to resit the window, child safety, and fader switch.

So now the acid test lets take a test drive (a long one say 40 miles). We determine that car now has a SANE climate control system. Ask for same temps on both sides, you get same temps, no variations over time, dial hot/cold and opposing wishes. It just all works!! Wonderful, just like new.

Total price with free labor was one temp sensor, extra parts the left side temp sensor and the overhead temp sensor. Although I did not break the tab on the left side sensor and could have reused it, same for original upper sensor, however price on this items was cheap ($20ish each) and since I had to remove them to test it made sense at least for me to pre-purchase and assume they were bad, or they would get busted in removal.

Well give that success I'll consider tackling the next issue, the outside temp sensor that is flaky. As it became cold out the temp display shows nothing in the morning, not even back lighting. Pressing on guage assembly, left side, usually brings it back to life, or time and warmth does the same.

Would this be a bad solder joint, or lazy connector pin?