Yeah I forgot to mention that the Pampanito still has that smell, which adds to the experience.

Hendrik
who also sometimes smells of Diesel, the manly perfume

LWB250 wrote:
The customer I knew who served on the Blueback told some pretty nasty stories about his
service.  On the last diesel-electric sub, despite being "state of the art", so
to speak, it was pretty unpleasant.

He talked about everything in the boat reeking of diesel fuel, and the noise
and heat from the engines being bad enough that the lucky ones were the guys
who were stationed in the forward torpedo room, as it was the quietest and
coolest place on the boat.  He said it was not uncommon to find guys bunking up
front wherever they could, even sleeping on the torpedoes.

He also talked about how, when they provisioned and were leaving on a tour,
literally every place on the boat was stuffed with food and other provisions.
The walkways up and down the boat would have cases of canned goods stacked 2-3
high, reducing the headroom significantly, and even the showers would be packed
with things like fresh produce, leaving them unusable until the provision were
used up or relocated to another area.

I learned the term "hot bunking" from him.  It refers to the situation where there was
only one bunk/rack per 2-3 submariners, meaning that when you were ready to turn in, your bunk
would still be warm from the guy who just mustered out.  I also learned what a "Navy
shower" was, too. Ugh.

It sounded pretty awful to me.

Dan