It probably makes sense to have a good warranty/service plan for a
laptop.  They are just so much more likely to get dropped, banged
around, etc. than a desktop.  Just be sure it covers stuff like having a
coke spilled on them; pretty much lethal for a laptop whereas on a
desktop you've at worst only killed the keyboard.  Some plans only cover
failure of components, not damage caused by the user.

Allan