You're right on Fred... most likely an issue with the idle control.
The idle valve looks like this:
http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/0001411225.jpg

Take a look at it and all the rubber hoses that connect it.  Anything
dried or up cracked should be replaced. Most likely, it all needs to
be replaced, along with all the rubber vacuum line fittings.  This is
a good place to start and might cure lots of running issues with the
car.  The parts are not too expensive and you just replace each part
one at a time to avoid mixing things up.  Note that the vacuum line
arrangements are different from model year to model year, so if you
get a diagram, make sure its for a 1985 US model car only.

 I believe if you remove the idle valve and rotate it back and forth
in your hand, you should hear the valve inside open and close.  You
can try cleaning it out with your favorite spray stuff and see if it
helps.  My experience is that it doesn't work for long if you do clean
it.

There is a controller for the idle valve, but I'm not too familiar
with the specifics.

The factory service CD will be very helpful to you in diagnosing this one.

Jaime