Ah!  thanks much.  Now it is starting to make sense.

Any way to check the OVP relay, other than looking at the fuse?

So the wires are fed power by the OVP relay? So if I could figure out which one is supposed to be hot, then jump +12v to it, then the idle slows down, I know the OVP or the other relay possibly between the OVP and the Idle speed control (or the wires) is bad? an idle speed control relay? gets a heat signal from somewhere to close the circuit....from the OVP to the idle speed control.

Jim,  I vote for you  as a national treasure.

Where is it located?  I assume somewhere under the massive air cleaner.

Yes.

What are the connections?

Two large air pipes, one to each side of the throttle plate.
Two wires.

I thought I was told that the OVP relay played into this somehow?

Idle speed computer eats OVP power.  No power equals fully
open valve equals high idle RPM.

Where is the OVP relay on a 85 380SL? near the fuel pump relay under the passenger kick panel?

Think so.

Where is this idle speed motor that Fred referred to?

The solenoid valve is sometimes referred to as a motor.

-- Jim