On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:25:06 -0700 Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net>
wrote:

> >> I believe that was called, 'Tickling the tigers tail'
> >>
> >> Method was to take 2 sub critical massed, make a donut from one and a
> >> donut hole sphere from the other.  Drop the sphere thru the hole
>
> That doesn't conform to any definition of 'tickling' I'd
> think of.  They did used to do it, or so I understand, but
> I think it was more like ootching slugs of metal near each
> other on a table.  The donut description is more like that
> of an active bomb.  Not much as a tabletop demonstration!

I did some searching on the web and found that it was called, "Tickling
the dragon's tail."

I found lots of references to the 'ootching slugs of metal near each
other on a table' experiments that killed two people, the second of which
was Louis Slotin. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin.

I also found one reference to dropping material through holes. That also
lists, in reverse chronological order, all of the criticality accidents
to 30 Jan 1968. It's at
http://www.cddc.vt.edu/host/atomic/accident/critical.html

Craig