I probably will try one of the homebrew antennas first, though I do place some
value on my time and spending half a day building an antenna vs. buying one for
$100 gets close to a wash for me.

I do want to be able to watch broadcast TV for the major sports events, and
really that's about all.  News I can read online, don't need TV for that.

It's just more and more annoying that I have to pay Comcast for content that's
about 1/3 advertising and most of which I never watch at all.

Internet is going to be a big issue if this seems otherwise workable.  Comcast
is currently my only option for broadband, and they jack up the price on
internet if it's not bundled with a TV subscription.

Allan