From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:16 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Nissan starter again - a fix

I would still do some checking with a meter on the relay inputs and
outputs to see what is happening with it/them, see if your ignition
starter switch position is sticking (which might just be energizing the
relay that is then sticking?).  I don't know how that ignition starter
switch works, but it seems like it is a momentary contact switch sort of
thing that passes juice to the relay energizing the starter/solenoid,
that should release when you release it from start position (and the
relay should release too) but maybe not?

--R

On 9/29/2010 4:08 PM, R A Bennell wrote:
> Yes, good call. I was thinking that the relay would perhaps prevent it from
> starting but should not cause the
> problem we were having. Not sure but maybe the relay is shorted in such a way
> that the power remains on when it
> ought not to. IE - not just stuck contacts but bleeding power to a circuit
> that it ought not to?
>
> Randy

was
>> something wrong with the bunch of Bosch that they had on the shelf. They got
>> me a Delco. More money and the
>>
> fellow
>
>> at the parts store was still trying to convince me that I should stick with
>> the Bosch, primarily because it is
>> re-built in the USA while the Delco came from Mexico. Normally I would
>> likely have agreed but I was looking at
>>
> all
>
>> possibilities and thought to change brands was one more item to cross off
>> the list of possible problems.
>>
>> I am glad I did. The Delco starter came with a copy of a TSB that says, if
>> one is having the issues we were,
that