so what was wrong with it?

On 10/6/2010 6:44 PM, Tim C wrote:
I lost my first MB - '74 240D, the only one selected, approved,
"negotiated" (if cashier's check for asking = negotiate :), and
nominally owned by SWMBO - today to the Kidney Foundation, and, no
doubt, the crusher.  I knew it was going to happen - actually thought
it was going to happen yesterday - but there was still a shock and
sadness that passed through my chest when I rolled up to see the
tracks in the mud, and the big gap in the driveway.  I thought I had
braced myself for its absence long ago; all the good stuff was pulled,
only the shell was left; but still it's like my poor little pup, after
such a short life, has gone off to be senselessly crushed by some kind
of maniacal robot.  Some cars I don't miss, like the Volvo, or the
other Volvo, but this one was different - slowly wending past our
defenses, it had rolled its way into our hearts.

The skids make me think it knew what was coming - perhaps it felt like
if it could get a grip on that wet clay it would have a chance.  But
the rugged, raw, frustratingly unavailable horsepower of the OM616 was
insufficient to overcome the diesel-spitting winch, and so it is that
our dearly departed has followed in the way of its forebears, borne
without malice but fully in justice to its final place in perdition.
May its final roads be paved solidly and smoothly with only the best
of intentions!

Fortunately the '77 was at work with me, but the '87 was in the street
and facing the whole thing; I will have to schedule some cleaning time
to get the image out of its headlights.  Such things are always
hardest on the survivors, or at least they seem to be the only ones
who complain.

Pictures before scuttling.  Unfortunately I never took any interior
shots, but then a fair amount of the interior stayed behind...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16324&id=1062656089&l=8589f8d3a1

-Tim
wearing black (pants at least) tomorrow

13:34:00

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic,