Being the parent of a child (now an adult) who was at one time diagnosed as
ADHD, I can vouch for the efficacy of amphetamines for the treatment of this
condition.

While we staunchly resisted any efforts to "drug" our child, when we finally
gave in and tried it, the results were nothing short of amazing.  A child who
had the attention span of maybe 30 seconds on a good day could now stay focused
and on-task for an extended period of time.

This approach served him well and made the difference between his ability to
succeed in school and socially for several years.

While I can only comment directly on my experiences, I have seen similar
results with other children in classrooms I have worked in.  Granted, it is not
an across the board fix, but properly applied, it does work.

And just for your information, there have been studies on the efficacy of
amphetamines on children diagnosed with ADHA since the 1970s.  Andrew Rowland
is one of the leading researchers in this area among others.

As for learning gains for these students relative to whether or not they were
being treated, I don't know.  I have to believe that there are studies on this
as well - one just has to do some digging.  Of course, since learning gains are
a very individualized thing, this would be rather difficult to quantify under
any circumstances.

Dan (former research assistant, Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health
Institute)