Tom Hargrave wrote:

"Actually, if I'm thinking if the same one, the 3.8 was Buick. And it
was a great engine."

You are right Tom.  The 3.8 was originally designed by Buick. It had
many manifestations.  It was used in the Buick Regal in the early 80's
(80-83 I think).  It was also some of the oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. In
the early generation, it was a dog and a lousy engine. In 1985, Gm put
it into the Olds 98 "C" body. 1985 was the first year that it had fuel
injection. The 85 had lots of problems with timing chains (ask me how I
know). They used the same engine in 86 and 87 in the olds 98 and the
Buick Park Avenue. Then in 88 they put a harmonic balancer on it and
called it the 3800.  This was the first generation of the fantastic
engines.  By 1990, it was perfected and it was an amazing performer. GM
discovered this engine could be used in lots of platforms. They put it
in the Bonneville, 98, park avenue, 88, and others. Then they started
putting it in some of the vans and the Monte Carlo (as an option over
the tired old 3.1 "m" motor).  Then in 94 or 95 they continued to use it
and despite it near flawless performance, they decided to change it.
They replace the metal intake with a plastic intake which promptly
failed and leaked coolant.  Overall, they were great engines. I think
the best GM ever made.

Donald H. Snook

McDonald, Tinker, Skaer, Quinn & Herrington, P.A.

300 West Douglas

P.O. Box 207

Wichita, Kansas 67201 0207

Tel. (316) 263-5851

This confidential message may be subject to the attorney-client
privilege or protected by the attorney work-product doctrine. If you
have recieved this message in error, please delete it and notify me.