Would that also manifest itself as a measurable AC waveform on top of the expected DC voltage?

I'd expect so, but I've never had a scope available at the
same time as a bad alternator to prove this out.  In theory
the AC ripple voltage would be higher too so that you could
use a decent multimeter (like a Fluke) to diagnose this,
but I've no proof, nor an idea of the magnitude of difference.
The frequency of the ripple ought to measure differently, too.
(Again, on a Fluke.)  Be the first to document a case, and
win our undying gratitude!

-- Jim