glenn brown wrote:
Guys, I recently purchased an '85 300TD from my brother and this car had been previously diagnosed with valve stem seals which need replacing as there's considerable oil smoke after startup from cold but disappears after ~ 5 min. of running. Since I seem to recall the honorable Dr. Booth indicating that synthetic oils tend to swell seals more than conventional/dino oils, I thought I'd try synthetic oil in the TD for a couple oils changes to see if this improves things before I seriously consider trying to replace the valve stem seals. Since I've only got a few hundred miles on the first synthetic oil change in the TD and the "offer" at Advance would be just too good to pass up, I thought I'd purchase some of the Mobil 1 5W-40 diesel truck oil ahead of time for the next oil change but the Advance Auto Parts store employee indicated that this oil is not on sale and I tried the purchase on the Net approach, where someone has indicated that the discount would show up in the
"ca
 rt" electronically . . . Note: this does not occur.

It occurs for everything but the diesel and motorcycle oils. Buy the 15W50 instead if you don't want to go to Wal-Mart or pay $8 for it.